Bolero

Bolero

Welcome to my Blog!!

When we moved to Southern Nevada, specifically Las Vegas, over 15 years ago, I quickly had to adapt to the desert and re-learn a lot of what I knew. Gardening in a hot and dry desert with poor soil can bring forth rather unique challenges. I would like to share my gardening adventures and successes as I try to add green and color to all of this brown. I will also write about my journeys elsewhere and post corresponding images. Hope you find useful information and/or enjoy reading my blog!!

Lynn

Saturday, January 7, 2017

Winter Chores for the Rose Garden - It is Pruning Time!!

This is the time of year that I dread. There is so much work to be completed in a short amount of time, but I know, in order to have healthier plants, and better blooms, winter chores are a MUST. It all begins with pruning.  So, with bypass pruners, loppers, gauntlet gloves, goggles, glue, and garbage bags on my cart, I will be off to prune, one rose, and one bed at a time....

Fortunately, the only roses that require a somewhat significant pruning right now are the grafted roses going into their second year. These roses have their canes cut down to about 2-3', all spindly or crossing canes are removed, leaves are stripped, then Neem oil is applied. I am not sure  if this year,  the canes will be sealed with Elmer's glue?? I have sealed the canes every year, but read a MSU article which indicated borers are not active during the colder Winter months, thus deeming sealing pruning cuts with glue un-necessary. I do not want to lose any roses, and will likely opt to play it safe, versus sorry, and apply the glue... Baby own-root roses (under 3 years if received as a band or  under 2 years of age if planted as a one gallon or larger) will essentially undergo deadheading, and the removal of dead or crossing canes. It is a lot of work!!


Evenings, I scour roses magazines, searching for must have roses to fill empty spots in my garden. This year, I am considering (Crocus Rose, Dermalogica Passion, Our Lady of Guadalupe, and Geoff Hamilton).


Cleaning up the beds, and removing plants that were not a success will help my mind's eye as I make plans for the next season. Unfortunately, I need to get the ball rolling with this task, as many of the perennial companies are selling out of the most desirable plants available for Spring 2017 shipping. Yikes!!


Examples of how to deadhead and prune rosebushes:  

https://extension.illinois.edu/roses/prune.cfm

You Tube Video: Utah State University Extension: How to Prune Rose Bushes







Duluth Trading Gauntlet Gloves