Bolero

Bolero

Welcome to my Blog!!

When we moved to Southern Nevada, specifically Las Vegas, over 15 years ago, I quickly had to adapt to the desert and re-learn a lot of what I knew. Gardening in a hot and dry desert with poor soil can bring forth rather unique challenges. I would like to share my gardening adventures and successes as I try to add green and color to all of this brown. I will also write about my journeys elsewhere and post corresponding images. Hope you find useful information and/or enjoy reading my blog!!

Lynn

Saturday, March 11, 2017

First Rose Blooms of the Season

These roses are the first blooms of the season! Most of the roses are full of buds and if they are not decimated by the winds scheduled for next week, I will have many blooms from roses old and new to share!

Nigrette

The dark red  bloom color of this rose reminds me of Oklahoma, but with a little less purple.  I have owned this little rose bush for less than a year, and am impressed with its health and vigor.


Blue Girl
Blue Girl Rose has beautiful bluish lavender blooms and healthy dark green leaves. If it makes it through my summer this rose will definitely be a keeper! I contemplated purchasing Stainless Steel, but selected Blue Girl because it is a soft lavender versus a grayish lavender.


South Africa
This rose has been on the to shovel prune for two years now. I am just not that fond of yellow. It is planted in my "box of crayola" colored roses, because I am finding I still gravitate toward cooler soothing colors. South Africa, is cheery and definitely not a soothing yellow coloring.  It is also a thrip magnet!!!